Volkswagen Touran Owners Manual: Displays
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings
Depending on the vehicle equipment level, various information can be displayed in the instrument cluster :
- Warning and information messages
- Mileage displays
- Outside temperature
- Selector lever positions
- Gear-change indicator (manual gearbox)
- Multi-function display (MFD) and menus for various settings
- Service interval display
- Second speed (Settings menu)
- Start/stop system status display
- Road signs detected by the road sign recognition system
Warning and information messages
The system runs a check on certain components and functions in the vehicle when the ignition is switched on or while the vehicle is moving. Functional faults are indicated by red and yellow symbols with warning and information messages on the instrument cluster display ( ). An audible warning is also given in certain cases. The screen may vary according to the version of the instrument cluster fitted.
|Type of message||Symbol colour||Explanation|
|Priority 1 warning report.||red||The symbol flashes or lights up – sometimes together
with an audible warning.
Do not drive on! It is dangerous !
Check function and solve problem. Use expert assistance if necessary.
|Priority 2 warning report.||yellow||The symbol flashes or lights up – sometimes together
with an audible warning.
If there is a malfunction or service fluids are running low, your vehicle could become damaged or break down!
Check the fault as soon as possible. Use expert assistance if necessary.
|Information message.||–||Information about various procedures within the vehicle.|
The odometer registers the total distance travelled by the car.
The trip recorder (trip) shows the distance travelled since the trip recorder was last reset. The last digit of the trip recorder indicates distances of 100 metres or tenths of a mile.
Outside temperature display
If the outside temperature falls below +4 °C (+39 °F) the display also shows a snowflake symbol (ice warning). This symbol flashes and then remains permanently lit until the outside temperature rises above +6 °C (+43 °F) .
If the vehicle is stationary, the auxiliary heating ( ) is on or the vehicle is travelling at very low speeds, the temperature displayed may be slightly higher than the actual outside temperature due to heat radiated from the engine.
The measuring range lies between -40 °C (-40 °F) and +50 °C (+122 °F).
Selector lever positions
The gear selected is displayed on the side of the selector lever and on the display in the instrument cluster. The display may show which gear has been selected if the lever is in D or S, or in Tiptronic mode.
Gear-change indicator (manual gearbox)
While the vehicle is in motion, the instrument cluster may show which gear should be selected to reduce fuel consumption .
Second speedometer display (mph or km/h)
In addition to the tachometer display, the speed can also be displayed in another unit of measurement (mph or km/h) while you are driving. To do this, select the menu option Second speed in the Settings menu .
Vehicles without menu display on the instrument cluster:
- Start the engine.
- Press the button three times. The odometer in the instrument cluster display flashes.
- Press the button 0.0 / SET once. The vehicle speed in km/h or mph is shown briefly in the display instead of the odometer.
- This turns on the second speedometer display. It can be deactivated in the same manner.
It is not possible to switch off the second speedometer display in those countries where the law stipulates that the display cannot be deactivated.
Start/stop system status display
The instrument cluster display shows information about the current status .
WARNINGFailure to observe the warning lamps and text messages could lead to your vehicle breaking down in traffic, accidents and serious injuries.
- Never ignore warning lamps and text messages.
- Stop the vehicle as soon as it is possible and safe to do so.
- A broken-down vehicle increases the risk of accidents – both for you and other road users. If necessary, switch on the hazard warning lights and set up the warning triangle in order to warn other road users.
- Stop the vehicle at a safe distance away from moving traffic and so that no part of the exhaust system can come into contact with any inflammable material underneath the vehicle, e.g. dry grass.
WARNINGStreets and bridges can be iced over at outside temperatures above zero degrees.
- Black ice may be on the roads at outside temperatures above +4 °C (+39 °F) and also when no snowflake symbol is displayed as a black ice warning.
- You should never rely solely on the outside temperature display!
NOTICEFailure to observe the warning lamps and text messages could lead to your vehicle being damaged.
The versions and displays may vary as there are different instrument clusters. In displays without warning or information texts, faults are indicated exclusively by the indicator lamps.
If several warning reports are detected, the symbols will appear for several seconds, one after another. The symbols will appear until the faults are rectified.
Tire Service Life, Influences
The following factors influence the service life of a tire in varying degrees. Driving style: Speed Brakes Acceleration Cornering ...
Roll-back function on the panoramic sliding roof and the sun blind
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings The roll-back function can reduce the risk of injury when closing the panoramic sliding roof and the sun blind . If the panoramic sliding roof or sun blind is not able to close because it is stiff or obstruc ...
Fuses in the vehicle
Fig. 212 Dash panel on the driver side: fuse box cover Fig. 213 In the engine compartment: fuse box cover First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings Fuses must always be replaced with a new fuse which has the same amp rating (same colour and imprint) and si ...