Volkswagen Touran Owners Manual: Start/stop system
Fig. 141 In the centre console: button for start/stop systemFirst read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings
In the start/stop system, the engine will be switched off automatically when the vehicle is stationary. When required, the engine restarts automatically.
The function is automatically activated every time the ignition is switched on. The instrument cluster display will show information about the current status.
When driving through water, always switch start/stop system off manually.
Vehicles with a manual gearbox
- When the vehicle is stationary, disengage the gear and release the clutch pedal. The engine is stopped.
- Depress the clutch pedal to restart the engine.
Vehicles with an automatic gearbox
- When the vehicle is stationary, press and hold the brake pedal. The engine is stopped.
- To restart the engine, remove your foot from the brake pedal or depress the accelerator in selector lever position P.
Important conditions for the engine to be switched off automatically
- The driver is wearing the seat belt.
- The driver door is closed.
- The bonnet is closed.
- The factory-fitted towing bracket is not attached electrically to a trailer.
- Engine minimum temperature has been reached.
- The vehicle has been moved since the last time the engine was switched off.
- On vehicles with Climatronic: the temperature inside the vehicle is within the pre-set temperature range.
- On vehicles with Climatronic: Neither a very high nor a very low temperature has been set.
- The defrost function of the air conditioning system is not switched on.
- On vehicles with Climatronic: a high blower level has not been selected manually.
- The charging state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.
- The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.
- The vehicle is not on a steep gradient.
- The front wheels are not turned greatly.
- The reverse gear is not engaged.
- The Park Assist system is not active.
Conditions for an automatic restart
The engine can start automatically under the following conditions:
- If the temperature inside the vehicle substantially increases or decreases.
- If the vehicle rolls on.
- If the voltage of the vehicle battery falls.
Conditions that make a key start necessary
The engine needs to be started manually with the vehicle key in the following conditions:
- If the driver unfastens the seat belt.
- If the driver's door is opened.
- If the bonnet is opened.
Switching the start/stop system on and off manually
- Press the button in the centre console .
- If start/stop system has been deactivated, the indicator lamp in the button lights up.
The engine will start immediately if the vehicle is in stop operation when the system is switched off manually.
WARNINGThe brake servo and the electromechanical steering will not function if the engine is switched off.
- Never allow the vehicle to roll if the engine is switched off.
- If work is to be done in the engine compartment, the start/stop system must be switched off.
NOTICEOperation of the vehicle for a very long time at very high outside temperatures can lead to vehicle battery damage.
In some cases, it will be necessary to restart the engine manually with the vehicle key. Follow any corresponding messages that are on the instrument cluster display.
Battery Charger -VAS5095A- Maintenance Charging
WARNING Risk of injury. Follow all Warnings and Safety Precautions. Refer to → Chapter "Warnings and Safety Precautions". WARNING ...
Recycling and scrapping end-of-life vehicles
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings Recycling of end-of-life vehicles Volkswagen has already made provision for the time when you choose to have your vehicle recycled in an environmentally-friendly manner. A recycling system which operates in many Europea ...
This chapter contains information on the following subjects: → Technical requirements → Fitting the removable ball coupling → Removing the ball coupling → Hitching and connecting the trailer → Loading ...