Volkswagen Touran Owners Manual: Automatic gearbox: selecting a gear
Fig. 132 Left-hand drive vehicles: selector lever for automatic gearbox with lock button (arrow)
Fig. 133 Right-hand drive vehicles: selector lever for automatic gearbox with lock button (arrow)First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings
The selector lever is equipped with a selector lever lock. When changing the selector lever position from P to a driving gear, depress the brake pedal and push the lock button in the selector lever in the direction of the arrow or . To move the selector lever out of position N to position D or R, first depress and hold the brake pedal.
The current selector lever position will be shown in the instrument cluster display if the ignition is switched on.
|Selector lever position||Designation||Meaning|
|Parking lock||The drive wheels are locked mechanically.
May only be selected when the vehicle is stationary. To disengage this selector lever position, depress the brake pedal and also switch on the ignition.
|Reverse gear||The reverse gear is selected.
May only be selected when the vehicle is stationary.
|Neutral||The gearbox is in the neutral position. No power is being transmitted to the wheels and the braking power of the engine cannot be used.|
|Standard driving position (normal programme)||All forward gears are shifted up and down automatically. The timing of the gear shift is determined by the engine load, your individual driving style and the speed of the vehicle.|
|Standard driving position (sport programme)||All forward gears are automatically changed up and down at higher engine speeds than in selector lever position D. This uses the full power available from the engine. The timing of the gear shift is determined by the engine load, your individual driving style and the speed of the vehicle.|
Selector lever lock
The selector lever lock in position P or N prevents gears from being engaged inadvertently, which would cause the vehicle to move.
To release the selector lever lock with the ignition switched on, depress and hold the brake pedal. Press the lock button in the selector lever at the same time.
The selector lever lock is not engaged if the selector lever is moved quickly through position N (e.g. when shifting from R to D). This makes it possible, for instance, to rock the vehicle backwards and forwards if it is stuck in snow or mud. The selector lever lock engages automatically if the brake pedal is not depressed and the lever is in position N for more than about 1 second and the vehicle is travelling no faster than approximately 5 km/h (3 mph).
In rare cases, the selector lever lock may not engage in vehicles with a dual clutch gearbox DSG®. The drive is then deactivated to prevent the vehicle accidentally pulling away. The green indicator lamp flashes and an information message is also displayed. Use the following procedure to engage the selector lever lock:
- 6-speed gearbox: depress the foot brake and then release it again.
- 7-speed gearbox: move selector lever to position P or N and then select a driving gear.
WARNINGSelecting an incorrect selector lever position could cause you to lose control of the vehicle, potentially leading to an accident and serious injuries.
- Never depress the accelerator pedal when selecting a gear.
- When the engine is running, the vehicle starts moving as soon as a gear is engaged and the clutch pedal is released.
- Never select the reverse gear or the parking lock while the vehicle is in motion.
WARNINGUnintentional vehicle movements can cause serious injury.
- The driver may never leave the driver seat if the engine is running and a gear has been selected. If you have to leave the vehicle while the engine is running, always apply the handbrake and move the selector lever to position P.
- If the engine is running and the selector lever is in position D, S or R, the vehicle must be held with the foot brake. The vehicle will creep forward as the power transmission is not fully interrupted even when the engine is idling.
- Never select the gears R or P when the vehicle is in motion.
- Never leave the vehicle with the position N selected. The vehicle will roll downhill irrespective of whether the engine is running or not.
NOTICEIf the handbrake is not applied when the vehicle is stationary and the brake pedal is released when then selector lever is in position P, the vehicle may move a few centimetres forwards or backwards.
If the lever is moved accidentally to N when driving, take your foot off the accelerator. Wait for the engine revs in the neutral position before selecting a driving gear again.
Caution Non-approved tools or materials such as leak sealing additives can cause damage or malfunctions in the system. Only use tools and materials approved by the manufactu ...
Electrically Driven A/C Compressor, Flushing
Vehicles with a high voltage system Observe all of the additional warnings for all work performed on vehicles with the high voltage system. Refer to → Electrical Equipment; Rep. Gr.93. ...
Aquaplus Design and Multi-Color Paintwork
In order to achieve error-free design and multi-colored paint applications using Aquaplus solid, metallic, pearlescent base paint, pay attention to the important notes and in some cases use special tools. Preparation: ...