Volkswagen Touran Owners Manual: Checking the engine oil level and refilling engine oil
Fig. 174 Oil dipstick with markings
Fig. 175 In the engine compartment: engine oil filler capFirst read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings
- Park the vehicle on a level surface to ensure the engine oil reading is correct.
- Switch off the engine and wait a few minutes for the engine oil to flow back into the sump. The oil level can be checked immediately and oil refilled if the engine is cold.
- Open the bonnet .
- The engine oil filler opening bears the symbol on the cap and the oil dipstick has a coloured handle.
Checking engine oil level
- Pull the dipstick out of the guide tube and wipe off with a clean cloth.
- Insert the oil dipstick in the guide tube again as far as it will go. If there is a marking on the oil dipstick, this marking must fit in the corresponding groove at the top end of the guide tube when inserting.
- Pull the dipstick out again and read off the engine oil level .
- After reading off the oil level, push the oil dipstick in the guide tube as far as it will go.
Engine oil level
|Action necessary depending on engine oil level:|
|Area Ⓐ||Do not refill oil .|
|Area Ⓑ||Oil can be refilled (approx. 0.5 l). The engine oil level may be in area Ⓐ, but not above Ⓐ.|
|Area Ⓒ||Oil must be refilled (approx. 1.0 l). Ensure that the engine oil level is in the middle of area Ⓑ after the oil has been refilled.–|
Refilling engine oil after checking the engine oil level
Refill only small quantities of the engine oil in steps.
- Unscrew the engine oil filler opening cap from the cylinder head . If it is unclear where the cap is located, please contact a qualified workshop.
- Only the engine oil approved by Volkswagen expressly for this engine should be refilled in small quantities (no more than 0.5 l) .
- In order to avoid overfilling, you must wait after each refill step so the engine oil can flow into the oil sump up to the marking on the engine oil dipstick.
- Check the engine oil level before refilling with a small quantity of engine oil. Never overfill engine oil .
- If the engine oil level is at least in area , push the oil dipstick into the guide tube as far as it will go in order to prevent the engine oil from draining out when the engine is running.
- After refilling, screw the oil filler opening cap back on correctly.
WARNINGEngine oil can ignite if it comes into contact with hot engine components. It can cause serious fires, burns and other serious injuries.
- Always ensure that the cap of the engine filler opening is securely closed after refilling. This will prevent the engine oil from draining out on to hot engine components when the engine is running.
- Do not start the engine if the engine oil level is above area . Seek professional assistance. The catalytic converter and the engine could otherwise be damaged.
- When refilling or changing operating fluids please ensure that the fluids are in the correct container. Incorrect operating fluids can cause serious functional problems and create function errors and cause engine damage.
The engine oil level must never be above area . Otherwise oil can be drawn in through the crankcase breather and escape into the atmosphere via the exhaust system.
Battery Charger -VAS5903- Maintenance Charging
Note If the battery is discharged by an electrical consumer during maintenance charging, the Battery Charger -VAS5903- automatically supplies the appropriate charge. Maintenance charging can be performed without time ...
This chapter contains information on the following subjects: → Warning lamp and coolant temperature display → Coolant specification → Checking coolant level and refilling coolant Never carry out any work on the engine coolant system if you are not familiar ...
Turn signal and main beam lever
Fig. 75 Turn signal and main beam lever in the initial position. First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings Move the lever into the desired position: Right turn signal. When the ignition is switched off, right parking light . Left turn sig ...